As a church, our theme for 2019 is ‘Faith OVER Fear’ and as an expression of that, we are setting aside 5 days at the beginning of the year to let God know that we will look to Him.
Micah 7:7 (NLT)
“As for me, I look to the Lord for help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me.”
In the earlier verses of this chapter, Micah expresses the hopeless state of the people / nation of Israel. There was injustice, corruption, betrayal and so on. This sounds similar to what’s happening in our nation today. But, it could also be that you may be facing some hopeless situations in your life - betrayal by family members, debt, sickness, you may be unable to conceive, your business is crumbling, your husband/wife has walked out on you, your child is caught up in addiction, you’re struggling with sin (bribery, pornography, lying) and so on. Or perhaps you have a big dream, new challenging role or a big project you want to start.
Whatever the case may be, we want to encourage you. Just like Micah said, ‘I look to the Lord for help’, would you look to God with confident expectation because He certainly hears you and He will come to save you.
“God, I Look To You. I choose Faith OVER Fear.”
Prayer is simply pouring out your heart to God. It is your heartfelt communication to Him. It is making your requests to God with sincerity and conviction.
Fasting, according to the bible, is voluntarily abstaining totally or partially from food for a purpose and, in this case, it is to give yourself to seeking God. Beware of your medical condition and choose wisely.
In his book A Hunger For God, John Piper states that when we fast we are saying, “This much, O God, I long for you and for the manifestation of your glory in the world. This much, O God, I want you. This much, O God, this much, we long for your fullness in the church and your glory in the world!”
Importantly, prayer and fasting are to be done in faith knowing that God will reward you. So let’s spend the next 5 days looking to God, our helper.
2 Corinthians 13:5 AMP
“Test and evaluate yourselves to see whether you are in the faith and living your lives as [committed] believers. Examine yourselves [not me]! Or do you not recognise this about yourselves [by an ongoing experience] that Jesus Christ is in you - unless indeed you fail the test and are rejected as counterfeit?”
• Where are you in your walk with God?
• Do you still look to Him in all areas of your life?
Consider: Psalm 139:23-24, 1 John 1:9 Wherever you are and whatever your answers are, make a fresh commitment to look to God.
Ephesians 3:16-19 NIV
“I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.”
Inner being is one’s spiritual being - mind or soul. Inner-strength then is having the ability to be decisive or a strong mental resistance to doubt or discouragement. Hence choosing Faith OVER Fear. So look to God for strength
• To be filled with the Holy Spirit
• To grasp the depth of Christ’s love
• For a deeper understanding of God’s word, Ephesians 1:17-18
Psalm 20:4 NIV - May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.
Proverbs 16:3 (NIV) “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.”
As you Look to God consider asking:
• For wisdom and understanding
• For His favour
• For God to rebuke the devourer from your finances - Malachi 3:11
• For God to protect your dreams and goals
Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.”
Consider Psalm 121, what immediate needs do you have for yourself or family? Look to the Lord your helper.
• Healing – Psalm 103:3
• Salvation of a loved one – Luke 3:32
• Deliverance from cords of sin, wrong habits, attitude
• Healing and restoration of family
I. Pastors & Leaders - Acts 6:4, Acts 4:29, 2 Chronicles 1:10
• For boldness in preaching the word
• Wisdom to lead the church
• To be alert to God’s leading
• Protection on their lives and family
II. Vision & 2019 Goals
• God to open a door for another celebration point
• A successful Jubilee Celebration of the Watoto Children’s Choirs
• Members to commit to the vision of community transformation
through cell, Watoto Neighbourhood and our Watoto Villages
John 13:34-35, Colossians 3:16, Galatians 5:13, John 15:1-10, John 17:19-20
• Love and serve one another
• That we will walk in obedience to God’s word
• We would be filled with the knowledge of God’s will
• That we may walk in unity
• Members’ faith will rise above their fears
Acts 2:42, Hebrews 10:24-25
• Members will genuinely care for one another
• Members be faithful to fellowship and edification in cell (small groups)
• Members will have a heart for the community
• Your cell goals will succeed
1 Timothy 2:1-3, Proverbs 14:34, Proverbs 21:1
Let’s look to God:
• That our leaders will rule with justice - Proverbs 29:4
• To turn the hearts of leaders to care for the citizens
• To place the righteous in places of leadership - Proverbs 29:2
2 Chronicles 7:14, Jeremiah 29:7
Let’s look to God:
• To deliver this land from the spirit of greed and corruption
• For security and peace in our nation
• To heal our economy. The economy to be strengthened
• For the restoration of a good weather pattern
Acts 1:8, “... You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you and you will be my witnesses to the ends of the earth.”
The task at hand (being a witness) is greater than we can handle on our own, so God promises to empower us to accomplish His purposes.
Through this day, look to God:
• To fill you with His Holy Spirit
• To grant you the gifts of the Holy Spirit - 1 Corinthians 12:1-10
• To fill you with His fullness - Ephesians 3:19
• To fill you with His love - Romans 5:5
Get ready for a powerful Evening of Prayer & Worship tonight @ 6:30pm